I know I know- who likes broccoli ? 😛 Well… I like, sometimes 🙂
Broccoli is extremely healthy vegetable full of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. On the other hand, let’s be honest and admit- it doesn’t have the best taste. In fact, it tastes bland. I like to eat it simply cooked and slightly salted from time to time. My son and my husband don’t want to even hear or look at poor, lovely, green broccoli. What should I do then? I really want to make them eat it. So…. let’s hide it 🙂 What’s the best way to hide it? Soup!!! 🙂
Broccoli soup should contain other vegetables. Firstly, because it tastes better. Secondly, because more vegetables equals to more nutrients. Ingredients may vary according to seasons and the current contents of our fridge. My favourite broccoli soup contains celery, onion, garlic and ginger.
Celery– hm…. I’m not really a fan of it- not at all. However, it works very well with broccoli. These two vegetables create great flavour.
Onion and garlic– it’s a base, two necessary elements in many of my soups.
Ginger– it’s a secret weapon in this soup. It brings nice, sharp taste. Bland taste of broccoli is totally killed 🙂
I try to avoid using artificial stock cubes or ready powders. Instead, I use only water with plenty of added spices. It’s much more healthy way of cooking 🙂
- 1 broccoli (mostly florets)
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1-1.5cm piece of ginger
- 2-3 spoons of olive oil
- 800ml/1 litre- water or vegetable stock
- salt (according to taste)
- 1 spoon of coriander powder
- 1 spoon of paprika
- half spoon of chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 spoon of your favourite ready mixed spices (I use mix of sea salt/brown sugar/roasted garlic/chilli/paprika/black peppercorns/yellow mustard seeds/coriander leaves/citric acid/paprika oil)
STEP BY STEP:
- Chop roughly all vegetables (broccoli, celery, peeled onions, garlic and ginger).
- Heat olive oil in a pan and saute onions, garlic, ginger, celery and chilli flakes (optional); stir regularly.
- After 2-3 minutes, add broccoli and all spices, including a pinch of salt.
- Pour in water/stock and bring it to boil, then reduce the heat and cook over a low/medium heat until all vegetables are tender; stir from time to time.
- Blend the soup in the pot using hand blender. If you don’t have, you can use food processor or other kitchen accesory, but it creates more work and washing-up, so I stick always to my blender 🙂
- Taste it! I’m sure it lacks salt or other spices so spice it up 🙂
- You can serve it with bread, breadroll, crispbread or homemade croutons.
COOKING TIME: 30-40 mins
- Choose your favourite bread- I recommend wholemeal/multigrain one.
- Cut into small squares 3-4 slices of bread.
- Place the frying-pan over a medium heat.
- Put all bread squares into frying-pan and pour nice amount of olive oil on top of them.
- Fry them for about 5-7 minutes, tossing/stirring continuously.
Enjoy you meal! 🙂